- 2-Amino-4,6-dinitrophenol, wetted with not less than 20% water
- Picramic acid
Dark red needles or prisms. Red crystals.
Chemical intermediate for dyes, esp mordant dyes, diazodinitrophenol, an explosive initiator, oxidn base for dyeing fur, component of electric detonation fuses, reagent for albumin, acid base indicator.
|Registry Numbers and Inventories.|
|EC Index Number||612-034-00-9|
|EC Class||Explosive; Explosive when dry; Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment|
|EC Risk Phrase||E|
Xn; R 20/21/22
|EC Safety Phrase||S: (2-)35-61|
|ENCS (MITI) ||3-820|
|RTECS class ||Mutagen (M)|
|Listed on Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances (AICS).|
|Melting point, °C||169.9|
|Solubility in water||0.065 mg/100ml|
|Partition coefficient, pKow||0.93|
|Hazards and Protection.|
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Suitable and effective personal protective equipment (eg, clothing, respiratory protective equipment and goggles) should be provided and , where necessary, be supplemented by barrier creams and industrial skin cleansers and derivatives.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary.
Reacts with strong oxidizing agents Explodes if dried and exposed to heat, flame, friction or shock Incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides.
When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of oxides of nitrogen.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of fire.
May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. DRIED OUT material may explode if exposed to heat, flame, friction or shock; Treat as an explosive. Keep material wet with water or treat as an explosive. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. MAY EXPLODE AND THROW FRAGMENTS 1600 meters (1 MILE) OR MORE IF FIRE REACHES CARGO.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
|Exposure effects||Blood pressure, pulse, respiratory rate, and temperature may all be elevated after exposure. In severe poisoning, restlessness, seizures, and coma may occur. Animal studies show developmental malformations involving the neurologic, ophthalmic, urologic, and skeletal systems of offsprings.|
Nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain may be prominent.
Dyspnea, tachypnea, cyanosis, and pulmonary edema may occur.
Yellow staining of skin occurs following contact with nitrophenols. Diaphoresis is common.
|First aid|| |
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Phenols are very toxic poisons AND corrosive and irritating, so that inducing vomiting may make medical problems worse. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center and locate activated charcoal, egg whites, or milk in case the medical advisor recommends administering one of them. If advice from a physician is not readily available and the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give the victim a glass of activated charcoal slurry in water or, if this is not available, a glass of milk, or beaten egg whites and IMMEDIATELY transport victim to a hospital. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, assure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.